The secondary mission uses a bulky servo and a battery which makes the free space within the can quite limited. So, we decided to use PCBs for our electronics not only to increase the reliability, but also to have a very compact circuit. To design our PCBs, we used the EasyEDA software which allowed us to have a reliable and clear design. Once the design was complete, we sent our design to Eurocircuits for production.
For our project we used two separate PCBs linked together by Dupont connectors. The battery of our µController is sandwiched between the two boards. We have one PCB that contains our sensors (thermistors and voltage regulator, BMP388 pressure sensor) and another that contains the main controller and control switches. For the other compontents who are not placed on the PCBs (radio module, GPS, servo winch), we use JST connectors to connect them to our PCBs. After a first version that has been fully tested, we identified a few minor shortcomings in our design, which have been fixed in a second version. We have now fully functional PCBs and a functional and complete electrical design.
We had to learn how to properly assemble the PCBs, as badly soldered connections can break during the launch, which was highly instructive for us as well. We would like to thank Eurocircuits for their support in our project and the quality of their printed circuit boards and service overall. It was a great experience to create our circuits using state-of-the-art tools and techniques.